How to Find a Good Dog Trainer Part IIWednesday, February 21st, 2018, 4:45 pm
In our last post, we talked about the importance of finding a good dog trainer. This time, we'll build off that idea to provide you with a few tips on how you can find the best possible dog trainer that will work with you and your pooch to make your pup the best he can be. Specifically, we'll talk about how to find a dog trainer that practices positive training ideologies.
What are Positive Training Ideologies?
Positive training ideologies focus on reinforcing good behavior from our animals. Rather than asserting dominance over the animals or using punishment to make a dog stop behaving a certain way, positive training is reward-based.
Positive training is based on four pillars:
- Positive training ideologies focus on positive reinforcement.
- Positive training ideologies avoid emotional or physical punishment.
- Positive training ideologies recognize where dominance theory is lacking.
- Positive training ideologies try to understand the dog's experience during training.
How to Find a Good Positive Trainer
While positive trainers may all focus on creating a positive experience for your dog rather than using intimidation, not all trainers are the same. Here are a few characteristics you should look for when selecting a dog trainer.
- Great dog trainers have excellent people skills and will want to communicate with you about your dog's training.
- A great dog trainer will listen to your concerns and take the time to hear what you have to say.
- Positive trainers will never try to use punishment to train your dog.
- Great dog trainers will recognize that each dog is different and take the time to get to know your animal's unique behavior history.
- Your dog trainer to work with your entire family to ensure everyone is on the same page, creating consistency for your animal.
- A good dog trainer should be able to provide you with reviews or testimonials from past clients.
It's always important to do proper research before hiring a dog trainer. The team at The Connected Canine can answer any additional questions you have about finding the right dog training team and provide you with the experience you're looking for. You can schedule an appointment in the San Fernando Valley and Greater Los Angeles Area by giving us a call at 818.538.8459.
Category: Latest News